Sunday 22 September 2013

Love Is My Religion!

I have had several friends from western countries who are atheists, not believing in God at all. The first time i met such a friend it was very hard for me to accept that one can not be a believer and still be good. I did not want to believe that atheists were good especially after learning the impact of religion in a human life at a very young age. But as long as i stayed with him i realised that he was more human than i was, than most of those who believe in God.

I am not trying to justify atheism but i believe one has a right to be an atheist. Freedom of choice is a fundamental right of all human beings. I have used an example of atheist to try to explain the attack at Westgate Mall in Nairobi Kenya; were attackers seem to use religion to justify their selfish, cowardly and brutal attack of innocent people. They have killed so many innocent people and they have kept many as hostage. The hostage are suffering not knowing what will be their fate while the death roll increases as time moves.

This act is not religious if one could judge it in terms of religion. I have never heard of a religion which encourages killings. Never! If there is such religion then that religion has lost focus. I do not want to mention the name of the terrorist group because by doing that i will be giving them credit but what they have done is not fine at all. There are no reasons to justify such an incident, an incident of mass killing.

I am deeply touched by the water gate attack and i pray for Kenyans and the continent at large. I just hope one day all humanity will understand that the only true religion we have is love. One should do to others what he or she would like others to to him or her.

No comments:

Post a Comment