Tuesday 24 September 2013

A Long Way To Go!

When i got a chance to study tax justice in the global change 2013, all my comrades and friends were against me. They did not understand what i will be doing with the knowledge on tax justice. Their faces were full of doubts every time i introduced the subject on tax justice; my family too was a bit doubtful. I am pretty sure if it was not for my political aspiration i would have listened and drop the chance. Some of my comrades even dared to say i was losing focus. It was not easy, i had to sacrifice a lot.

Even after spending three weeks in the training i have met people with negative minds on the course and i sometimes get convinced that i did not make the right decision. It is a long way to go and sometimes i feel there is so much work to be done. I am not trying to regret being here because i still hope things will change for the better and i will meet some of my expectations. I am also very different when it comes to knowledge; i believe the knowledge i am getting will one day be essential to me. I think the only problem i have is i was not taught to leave anyone behind.

Ok! Let's leave the expectations and feelings and look at what i am learning. Tax justice! These are just two words, tax and justice; but we know hard it is to get justice in this word. Tax justice is a very controversial issue. Two days ago a prominent lawyer came to my class and tried to show some of the loop holes which companies are using in tax avoidance and tax evasion; i truly did not understand how does the authorities allow loop hole for tax avoidance and tax evasion. 

There might be few of us who are benefiting by betraying the majority, that's absolutely selfishness. I know the issue of tax is very complicated but i think it's time for those few to stop their selfishness and act for national interests. Wananchi also should be told what is happening. It is not fair for a local Mwananchi to pay tax while a multinational company enjoys a ten years tax holiday. Do we have to do all this to attract investors? Do we have to give tax exemptions to attract investors? Is there no other way of attracting investment. 

I am sure there are other ways but we are so selfish to put person interests we have in those multinational companies at stake. I know it is a very hard fight, a fight where personal interests are questioned. 



No comments:

Post a Comment