Friday 17 July 2015

A Year in A Page

I have just realized that i have not publish an article online (Not only in this blog) for more than a year. I remember the last thing i published online was this article about the Souls of Murambi. It was a report while i was still a participant of the PBI organized by Never Again Rwanda. I think the PBI is a good beginning of writing what i have been through during the past year.

After the end of My Tax, My Health Campaign, a campaign on Tax Justice which was a fruit of a Global Change Course that was organized by Global Platform Tanzania i had an opportunity to attend the Third International Conference on Family Planning in Ethiopia. This was just a day after the end of My Tax, My Health Campaign  . 

I was still a student, in my third year and summer holiday had just ended. Friends, even before the trip to Ethiopia had started calling from school, threating me about how hard third year courses were and how nasty Professors were. I was busy with the campaigning and sometimes i went to the University to distribute campaign posters. 

After the conference, i went straight to school. It was the fourth week since school was opened. I had missed a lot but i think i leveled everything in just a week.  As i was giving myself hope that i was in the same level with everyone, here came an opportunity to go to Rwanda for the PBI for two weeks, the meaning is apart from the four weeks i had missed earlier, i was going to miss two week in middle of a semester. 

After the PBI, which involved a lot of lectures on peace building,site visiting and leveling on Kigali's new year eve, i came back to school and this was two weeks before the University Examination. I had to read and rely on energy drinks. 

During the short holiday between first and second semester i got involved with Liters of light and translated the reports of a projects on Micro Finance for Bus4Africa pro bono. At the same time i was still involved with UNFPA Tanzania where i am a member of the Youth Advisory Pannel and AWAS where i am a Global Youth Ambassador. 

The second semester was very fast. In the middle of it i arranged a road trip and go to Kenya to meet my friends and attend two events that they had organized, African Symposium on Innovative Ecomics and Lead4Change. After my trip to Kenya came an opportunity to go to the Parliament in Dodoma. I arrived a day before this trip, a political trip that involved students who were doing International Relations.

Finishing school was another success in 2014. Two days before i finished my last exam, i signed a contract with YouthfulCities and became an Urban Decoder for Dar es salaam City. In November, 15th 2014, i graduated and later went to Zambia for a conference. 

After the conference in Zambia, i went direct home. I had not gone to my home town for three years i spent at the hill. I had not met my Father and Siblings together for sometimes. It was a reunion!

Coming back to Dar, i joined an agribusiness company. My first assignment was to go and establish the Company in Zambia. I went to Zambia and spend time trying to establish a Company. A job that i did pretty well despite all challenges. After my assignment in Zambia, i came back and i was offered a General Manager position.

Despite everything i am still committed in all issues that has to do with sustainable development, youth and women empowerment. I am now involved with Youth4Change, advocating the end of Child Marriage and Female Genital Mutilation. I am also a student taking evening classes and part of the UN-MGYC Youth Working Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment